28 June 2013
27 June 2013
I like this ghost-boat stage where you can see the shape of the future boat. The stems aren't in place here, so nothing seen here will be in the final canoe.
I've used one bearing guided router bit to finish 12 of the moulds, and I think that is the limit. It was getting very hot and very slow with finishing the last cut. I don't know how realistic it is to try and resharpen them.
25 June 2013
Placing all of the mould templates on a nail gives a good feeling of the shape. I am not sure I am quite happy with them. They are sized according to the offsets, but the depth decreases and then increases as you move away from the centre mould, before sweeping down to the stems. That doesn't seem right, but maybe the twists in the planks correct for that. As always, we shall see.
23 June 2013
|MDF template, which was used to guide a router to cut the two moulds|
|The work so far. The fore and aft moulds are identical, but in the stern half they are an inch closer that in the forward half. This means that the maximum beam will be slightly behind the mid point. So not quite symmetrical fore and aft.|
|The bevelled stem. I have put short nails into each mould and stem at the shear line, to give something to fit a plank against.|
21 June 2013
I have laminated the second stem and it is now curing. I gently bent each lamination around the former without any heat and they curved nicely without any cracking.
I also discovered the pleasure of having solid saw horses which are the same height as the bench. I finally have solid support for large sheets of mdf and plywood.
20 June 2013
The stem is firmly set by the morning. It springs off the mould slightly, but that is to be expected. It is always interesting how strong a curved laminated piece feels. The thin laminations are so flimsy by themselves. I used masking tape over the mould, which is not so stick proof as parcel tape, so I need to get a few rolls of that. The whole process is much easier than using epoxy. The glue I have used is Collano Semparoc. Just squeeze it out of a bottle.
19 June 2013
I added another layer to the stem lamination and it all seemed to be holding a reasonable shape, so I decided to glue it up. I am using a polyurethane glue, can't remember the name. It is just a squirt it on and clamp one, unlike epoxy. Still very strong, and if I ever do build the canoe, it will all be sheathed and epoxy coated.
I bought some thin strips of pine and bent them round a stem former. Used the hot air gun technique to bend it in place, which worked fine and it means the strips are dry, so no need to wait before gluing. I'll leave them on the former for a day or so. They may be a bit narrow. If this all works, these will be part of the finished boat, the inner stem.
I have built the first saw horse. Not a work of art, but very solid. The parts are all cut for the second, so should get that done tomorrow. Paul Fisher's book on strip planning arrived within 24 hours of ordering, and it is excellent. Very impressed by the quality and speed of service. I haven't dealt with Selway Fisher before, but I might do so more now.
I finished off the second saw horse this morning. Very crude, but the feeling of solidity is fantastic. I may make a couple more at some stage specifically for sawing at a lower level
18 June 2013
10 June 2013
Next morning I was up at 5:00am hoping to sail to Yarmouth. I had to catch the tide through Hurst Narrows before 11:00. All went well, but out in Poole Harbour I found the cockpit floor kept flooding, which it has never done before. Then I realised that on a port tack, which I was on all the time, this water was pouring into the cockpit locker through the fuel pipe hole. The locker was awash and the fuel tank floating upside down. The engine was on at the time and was running fine, which was surprising. I hove to and bailed out the locker. Couldn't think what was wrong, and the wind had built up to F6, which was nasty and cold, and it had moved into the east. I would have to motor all the way and thought I would probably miss the tidal gate anyway. So I turned for home.
View Non voyage to Yarmouth in a larger map
Then a thought struck me. Was the self drainer in the port sump by the outboard well open? No, it wasn't. I pushed it open, and within a few minutes the water was gone and flooding stopped. I hadn't realised how important they were. But the fuel pipe inlet is too vulnerable. I will have to think of a way of improving it at some stage.
Back in Poole I went back on my mooring and cycled into Poole for lunch and a drink in the RNLI bar. Then I sailed over to Bramblebush Bay, anchored and went for a walk looking for the Little Sea, which is a beautiful lake on Studland peninsula. Beautiful sun, and out of the wind, so it was summery at last. Back at the boat the wind was still cold and strong so I sailed back to Brownsea for another sheltered night.
|View from the RNLI. Makes it even more worth being a member|
|Daisy Grace at anchor off Brownsea Island|
View Sailing round the Harbour, Brownsea to Arne in a larger map