16 September 2011

Beautiful September sailing (27nm 386total)



Motoring down from Wareham

The forecast was good so I risked it and it was worth it. Lovely day sailing around the harbour (with a heavy downpour in the middle admittedly) and then motoring up to Wareham, where I was the only boat tied up to the quay all night. I had seen the seals at Shipstal again, and saw that there is a small raft off Round Island where one was hauled out in the sun. Beautiful chestnut brown over his head and back, and spotty sides. It was obviously his raft.

Had a Guinness at the pub and fish and chips from the local chippy for dinner. Late morning departure for the best weather of the summer. Just idled down the  Wareham channel, beached on Arne and had to use the sail batten to poke out a stone jambed in the centreboard case, hove to for lunch watching the big ships coming and going and then finally sailed back to the marina. gentle wind so I lowered the main sail, went in under jib and mizzen and managed to pick up my mooring under sail, which always feels like an achievement. The weather was clearly changing so I packed up and headed home. I shall probably only be down again to pack her up and bring her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment