21 May 2011

Trip to Christchurch aborted (27nm, 119nm total)

I set out to sail to Christchurch as the wind and currents were about perfect. I reckoned I could make 3-4kts. I was storming along at 5-6 and was due at Hengistbury Head ahead of estimate. Then I noticed the Isle of Wight had disappeared. Then Hengistbury disappeared and it was only a mile away. Thick fog was rolling in from the Channel. I turned tail back to Poole. The fog lifted but I was glad I had gone back. Close hauled I was still making 4kts. Daisy G sailed herself for half an hour without a hand on the tiller. I even made a sandwich and just watched the view. I only had to steer to get into the entrance channel. Then a sunny afternoon storming around the harbour. I beat a Shrimper in a straight windward beat, which was very satisfying as I was towing a dinghy and went aground at least once. A good weekend's sailing apart from the crack (which I have filled with Araldite)
The little video below was recorded on my mobile phone thorugh a waterproof cover. On my way back to Poole and just about to get my lunch ready whilst Daisy G deals with the helming.

No comments:

Post a Comment